Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Been One of Those Days...

I woke up today with much less sleep than needed, and I wasn't what you would call fully functional...I can't even begin to tell you how I nearly dozed off today.

And dozed off is exactly what I did when I got home. So I'm going to postpone my Day 7 outfit photos until tomorrow, because I slept until 8:30pm and obviously, it was no longer bright outside.

Instead, I'll do some catching up with a DIY post! A while back, I took a trip to Goodwill...no surprise there. Here's the post about it.

In that post, I had already chopped up one of the dresses I had purchased on that trip:

This...
Turned into this...

I loved the way the dress turned out, but I was left with a giant loop of floral chiffon fabric, with which I had no idea what to do. It just so happened that the day before that, a friend of mine was wearing a floral scarf, and I loved it. I decided I needed one of my own. So I tried looping the excess fabric around my neck as you would a circle scarf....

(Note the difference in the pictures...I love this camera.)

And voila! No need to buy a scarf! I didn't even have to hem it, a little help from a bottle of Fray Check did the trick.

Then I was left with only one part of the dress that I hadn't dealt with yet: shoulder pads. I usually cut them off of my thrift store finds and throw them out. But this recent haul from Goodwill had quite a few shoulder pads and I started to feel bad about throwing them out, because I'm ridiculous like that.

I cut the edge/hem of the shoulder pads off, took out the padding and threw it away, and was left with 4 circles of chiffon/mesh like fabric. After some thought I had an idea and started to sew them together, into this:


And that's how I turned a $4 drab old dress into an updated dress, a cute scarf, and a gorgeous accessory. :)

5 comments:

  1. The excess scarf turned floral circle scarf is ingenious. It's super cute, I love it! The dress also turned out beautiful as well! You're so creative & resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I wish I was crafty!! You did an amazing job on the dress and the scarf is so cute.

    -Fellow 30 for 30er

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys! I absolutely love altering things. It's exciting when they actually turn out right, like this project did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw another refashionista that uses the shoulder pads to make little mouse cat toys that she donates to the animal shelter. You just fold them in half along the straight edge, stitch the bottom, stuff, insert a yarn tail, and stitch closed. Then she hand stitched on little felt ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this refashion! It's wonderful!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete