Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Little Art Lesson



 Top: Charlotte Russe, $10
Skirt (as dress): thrifted, $3.50
Shoes: Nine West, from Ross, $17.99
Belt: Free (came with a dress)

I found this skirt at the thrift store last fall, and I fell in love with its print. It reminds me of Matisse's paintings. It's an awkward length and I never got around to hemming it shorter, so it sat in my closet until I got the idea of wearing it as a dress. The lace tank was perfect for making it a little more modest.

Images from picassoandmatisse.com

These are some Matisse paintings. See where I'm coming from? And since I'm going off about art right now, I might as well mention these cool shoes by Christian Louboutin...which are inspired by Mondrian's paintings.


Image from geometricsleep.com


Image from overstockart.com

6 comments:

  1. Love the outfit and love the real-art references! That's how you know you're a reeeeally cool blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how you made this skirt a dress! the bold print is amazing and belting it totally fooled me into thinking it was a dress. love it!

    cute & little
    check out my TIKKR watch giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt and the lace top makes it perfect as a dress! Lovely :D


    YURI
    The fashion blog:http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com
    Reviews & Giveaways:http://tigerlilysbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is awesome (and so are the art references)! I love the idea of wearing a skirt as a dress; I'm definitely going to steal that sometime is spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! And haha, I feel like such an art dork for all those references. But that's not something I'm ashamed to be. :)

    @Felicity: Go for it! I have several skirts at awkward lengths that I now convert into dresses occasionally. I used to think it was awkward and everyone would notice...but now I just tell them outright. It's amazing how much a belt transforms it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That's a skirt?! I had to do a double take - amazing! It is so cute. Good job. :) New here - hi!

    Meggy from Chasing Davies

    ReplyDelete