Friday, July 22, 2011

Pretty in Pink (sort of?)

I somehow got it into my head that this dress was coral, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like pink...thus the title of this post.

This was my best DIY ever. I hope that means I'm getting better at this sewing thing...


Click image for larger resolution
Quick summary of the process: I took a dress I already had to give me an idea of how much I'd have to sew it in (image A). I sewed the sides in (image B), and also sewed it in at four other spots, two in the back and two in front (not shown). Then I sewed a hem for the skirt and cut off the excess, leaving a few inches (image C). I hemmed that cut to make a double hem, because I thought that would be cute (image E). With the extra material I cut out cap sleeves (image F), and sewed those on (image G). With the material left over after that, I cut two strips (image H), folded them each in half, sewed along the length, and turned them inside out to make a waist tie (image I). All done!

Initially I wanted to attach the waist tie directly to the front of the dress (it's only pinned on in the photo above), but 1) I ran out of coral thread, so I had to stop, and 2) I realized the dress would look cute with a variety of belts (such as the one below). So I plan on just making two belt loops with the little bit of material I have left in order to accommodate both!


And of course, I wouldn't end this post without telling you the cost of this project: $4

Thank you, Goodwill, for your endless supply of large frumpy dresses.

P.S.- It has pockets!

20 comments:

  1. Hey you look awesome! Awesome project : ) Love it! $4 is an awesome price for a dress. I love thrifting for surprises~

    www.mrschong.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooohhhweeee I do not like this but I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I need to learn to sew ASAP. You're making me so jealous with all these refashion projects!

    14 Shades Of Grey

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job with this! I really wish I could sew and remake dresses like that!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! it suits you very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, this is great !
    wow, amazing dress now :)

    xo lala

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed what you can do with an oversized dress and a sewing machine. Completely reinvented the piece - I love it! So, so glad I ran across your blog and I will definitely be back!

    <3 Callie
    unladlylikeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great DIY!!! The transformation is amazing! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is absolutely adorable! it looks great with the contrasting belt. and thank you so much for the comment on my blog! i seriously appreciate it:)

    <3lindsay
    lindsayelizabethm.blogspot.com

    ps. yes seventeen was really fun! modeling for them opened up so many doors for me in the fashion industry. they are such a great magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is genius!! You make altering dresses look so easy. I just shortened a vintage dress that I bought from the thrift store recently, you can check it out on my blog if you like.

    -Cherrie
    http://www.cherrieamore.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog and am inspired by your dress refashions.

    I used to call this color coral too. But with the really orangey red color so popular that everyone is calling coral now I figure that would mislead more people than help. I've seen some people referring to it as salmon. And I guess it does have more of the coloring of salmon. So that's what I'm sticking with for now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this dress!! Such a great job at making it fit! I have a question and please forgive me as I am new to sewing! When you took in the sides in image b did you cut the whole length of the dress or just where you showed the mark in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've turned a couple of over-large dresses into skirts and matching handbags (sometimes a clutch and sometimes with handles from ugly GW handbags). However, I like your dress A LOT, so I'm going to try it. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm gonna do some serious hunting at goodwill!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm gonna do some serious hunting at goodwill!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so awesome! I have a goodwill dress similar to this that I wasn't sure what to do with. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice I will try it

    ReplyDelete