Wednesday, July 18, 2012

New Look & Some Mustard Love

So...I had a creative burst last night and gave the blog design a makeover in 3 hours. What do you guys think? 


Churned out another refashion from the bag sale haul! Successful transformation of an outdated, drab mustard colored silk shirt into something a little more wear-worthy.

 What I did:
An ridiculous amount of ironing.
Goodbye, shoulder pads. 
Rolled up the sleeves twice, hemmed it.
Took off the breast pockets (too big and too square).
Relocated pocket flaps to collar (as a faux bow collar).
Rounded lower hem (had existing side slits, so I just sewed up to the top of the slit).
Sewed the sides in a little bit around the mid-region for shape. 
Sewed a pleat on each side of the buttons.

 It can be worn as is, but I also tried belting it and tying it at the waist.
Shirt: thrifted ($0.30)
Pants: Charlotte Russe ($5)
Shoes: Rack Room ($2.80)

Cost of project: $0.30

I'm thinking this could look really cute with a skirt. Perhaps I'll try that sometime soon.

17 comments:

  1. loving the diy! great job!

    xx

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very impressive..I can't even sew a button..I know it's sad but true!
    thanks for visiting my blog.hope to see you there sonn
    hugs from NY
    Sheree
    www.itsnotthatdeep.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the shirt looks great! I love it with the belt on! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30 cents? You've gotta be kidding me! Where do you get this stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this during a bag sale, so the whole bag of clothes was around $4 or $5. Such a great deal!

      Delete
  5. I like your blog design! And that shirt looks great after your changes. I wish I had talent with a needle and thread :)

    katiesbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was about time for an update, haha.

      Delete
  6. OMG!!! i am in awe! i love that! and the fact that is was so inexpensive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with the shirt! I use to remake things all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! I love that you used the pocket flaps to make a bow collar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE mustard and I love what it looks like now! I can't believe that only cost 30 cents!

    Now following back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was such a great steal! Thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks everyone, for your lovely compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this project! :)
    you misspelled thrifter on your banner, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never would have seen the potential in that shirt! It looks fantastic! If you want to come over and show me the potential in my closet I wouldn't be opposed...! ;)

    ReplyDelete