Sunday, September 9, 2012

Downsizing [Refashioning for Kids]

A while ago I received a comment on my Facebook page asking about refashioning adult clothing for kids. It just so happens that I have a kid sister and several skirts from Forever 21 that I deem far too short for their intended consumers. So I decided to do a bit of quick refashioning, because they're doing no good just sitting in my closet. 

This is a super easy alteration that you can do in 5 minutes. Maybe even less. Here's what I started with: 


Just a simple knit ruffle skirt. No zippers, no pleats, nothing. So all I had to do was flip it inside out and sew along one edge: 


This is what it turned out like:


This is fantastic because you can take out the stitch and adjust it as the child grows. And it's a great way to incorporate some styles into a child's wardrobe that you may not be able to find in the children's section!

I got this skirt from Goodwill for $3.50. I think it's adorable. It's just too short for my taste. So I'm glad to have found a good use for it. :) 

And obviously, this doesn't have to be used to alter things for kids. You might have a knit skirt that just needs to be taken in for your own sake!

 I also altered another skirt using a slightly different process, so I'll share that soon!

5 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your refashioning posts this past week! Great job. I now want to go to Goodwill and see what I can find to refashion. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so easy! I will definitely have to try it out. Gotta dust off the old sewing machine!

    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like you blog name. It is very creative.

    Emma
    http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question, because I'm thinking about taking in my own ruffled skirt - do you just end up in a seam that interrupts the ruffles? Or do you just take in the skirt that lines the layer with the ruffles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that there are so many clothes for sale that really are too short! I'm so impressed with all of you refashions, I love to read them :)

    ReplyDelete