Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Back in Business



Reunited with my sewing machine and it feels so good. 

Actually, that's a lie, I got a new machine, so it actually feels better. Anyway, while summer does not mean I'm just bumming around all the time, I do have a little more free time on my hands and therefore decided to tackle my monstrous pile of potential sewing projects last night. About time, right? It's been a while. 

I got this dress sometime within the past year (yep, it's been so long I don't even remember...) from Goodwill for $4. The color caught my eye, because I think mustard yellow is fantastic. It was also brand new, so no complaints there! But it needed some work...

First, the simple stuff. I sewed it in a bit on each side (I may have to go back in and do more of that...it's still loose) and brought up the hem by about 6 inches. This fabric is marvelous and doesn't seem to fray, which is good because I'm leaving the bottom unfinished until the serger machine I ordered gets here in the mail.


Then I had all that excess fabric...and I didn't know how I felt about the cheap black belt that came with the dress, so I made one. I sewed three sides of the loop of hem fabric together and trimmed off the sides. 

 Then turned it right side out and hand finished the remaining end with a quick slip stitch. 

 Which resulted in this! This is also a quick sneak peek at another outfit. I was doing a lot of sewing last night...to give you an idea of how much, I was up at 3am blasting Mumford and Sons and bent over the sewing machine. Withdrawal problems...


And so a new dress was born, right? Not quite. I knew from the start that I wanted to change the sleeves (or lack thereof), and originally was going to put on some capsleeves. But I've done that before, and I wanted to do something different, break up the solid color a bit. Luckily, I happen to have an ever growing collection of scraps and findings, and upon looking through those for a while, I decided a little lace wouldn't hurt. Add on a spool of $1.99 lace from JoAnn's on the shoulders...and voila! :) 


Dress: thrifted ($4) :: Shoes: Banana Republic, thrifted ($6)


8 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your refashion- The color is great, and I love the lace detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks great with the lace! I hope I can get my own sewing machine too… I’d love to be able to refashion old clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, the new dress is great! love that belt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed that dress by using the lace! I love that mustard yellow color as well, so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent upstyle! looks adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower here! Love your style and this re-do is amazing! Looking forward to reading your posts <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw this on Pinterest, it's amazing! I do dress refashions too, so I always love seeing what other people come up with!

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love this! I always come across amazing vintage dresses that aren't my size. Alas, I dont have the skills to refashion them but I should learn how to!

    ReplyDelete