Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dress Transformation


I'm a fan of the chevron stripe trend that's been around for some time now, but I'm not a fan of the price tag that generally comes with it. So when I saw this size 16 dress for $4 at Goodwill I thought it'd be a good alteration project to tackle! It took some time and patience, but here's what I did. 

It had a bodice lining so I took that apart and added darts to both the front and the back, cinching in the skirt to match, and also sewing a straight line down the center back to make the entire bodice smaller. Because it has a side zipper, I couldn't just sew up the sides. 


I had some scraps of white fabric lying around, so I cut some up...


...and added a waist band and shoulder detailing to break up some of that busy pattern. And also to bring the waistline division up to a higher, more flattering level.



And that was all! Total cost? $4 and some free scraps I've kept forever. That, and a heck of a lot of time, apparently attempting to keep chevron stripes lined up is a pain to do...

3 comments:

  1. I like the waistband and the darts...it makes it look like a completely different dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thoroughly impressed! Would love to see it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally cute! I love this dress and you can't beat the price tag! I notice that you did two symmetrical darts at the waist opposed to simply gathering... was that to keep the chevron points lined up? or just a visual interest thing?

    ReplyDelete