Tuesday, June 25, 2013

On A Whim

I'm excited to share with you one of my most recent successful projects! I purchased this pretty fabric from JoAnn's a few weeks ago for about $7 (1 1/2 yards), along with a zipper, with the intention of making a peplum style top. I decided to try something new and make it without a pattern at all, just with my own design process. Here's how it turned out!




I essentially cutout and sewed together the top half of the shirt first--this is comprised of a single back piece with two darts, as well as three front panels, which are curved to create a fitted waist. After putting together those four panels to create the top half, I created the lower piece by taking a much longer piece of fabric and using a machine baste to gather it to the length of the top half hem. I left one side of the entire thing unsewn in order to put in the invisible zipper at the end.

All in all, not too bad for a first design project! The neckline is a little bit imperfect, but I will probably go back and fix that when I get a chance.  I'm considering getting more fabric to make a matching skirt so that it can be worn as a dress as well!

7 comments:

  1. That's really pretty! Congrats on doing it without a pattern- I can never do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty top, I like the fabric :)
    Making things without a pattern gets easier with every project, you soon learn what works and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I'm incredibly impressed with this. Great choice of fabric.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purchase via online shopping several quality of Mini Skirts, Skinny Jeans, Maxi Dress, Cutout Dress in affordable rates. Mostly latest fashion design available on shopping portal and you can easily compare their prices and other detail's.

    ReplyDelete