Monday, March 31, 2014

Speaking of Chocolate


I decided to surprise a friend with a cake for her 3/4 birthday this week (knowing I wouldn't be able to spend her actual birthday with her). Since her love of chocolate exceeds that of anyone I've ever witnessed, I used that as my inspiration in making this thing. 

Here's the recipe for the cake base: 

2 cups brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Combine all dry ingredients, add in the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add in boiling water and mix until completely combined. Pour into two greased and floured 9" rounds and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I also added in some chocolate chips--because I was worried that they'd sink to the bottom (the batter is slightly runny), I let them bake for about 5 minutes before putting some chocolate chips on top of the cake so that they would remain on the top.

For the frosting: 

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup hot fudge topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream the butter and shortening, add in the cocoa and sugar, and mix until smooth, adding milk bit by bit to help with consistency (I probably only added a small splash of milk, not the whole 2 tablespoons). Add in vanilla and fudge topping last.

To top off the cake, I basically gathered every kind of chocolate possible and arranged it as garnish. I melted some dark chocolate and dripped it on wax paper to make the swirly looking thing sticking out in the middle, and dripped chocolate syrup down the side to make it just a little more excessive looking. 



6 comments:

  1. I'm always shocked when I see American recipes with more sugar than flour. But that does look very very good. No one other than my mom has ever baked me a cake. My boyfriend did make me a pie once, so I guess that counts :) We were watching Pushing Daisies and I said it's making me crave pie so he made me one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS TOO YOMMYYYYY. I WANT SOME
    AM FOLLOWING, PLEASE FOLLOW BACK
    MY NEW POST HERE
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/search/label/MIMIESSIEN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Topshop.pk A simple solution to all your shopping needs. We bring to your doorstep a simple way to buy from Pakistan's largest selection of products and services
    Check out this awesome T-shirt @ Topshop.pk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before shopping women fashion dress online, you should check the total price including shipping charges and all extra charges. As we know, no one wants to give extra charges like shipping and all; also you must be aware about exchange policy if you don’t like that particular clothes for which you have ordered. Many sites offer cheap women clothing but whenever you go to shop from these sites they include many charges such as our store site you can find you need.
    wholesale bustiers
    wholesale steel boned corsets
    sexy leather lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, this looks AMAZING! I wish I could reach through the screen and take a bite out of it! ;)
    xoxo,
    Brooke Jordan
    Pineapples & Daisies

    ReplyDelete